Find the answers to your most pressing questions.
Reset Search



Can previously earned credits be used towards the current curriculum?

« Go Back


Credits earned that are more than 5 years old cannot be used toward the current curriculum.

Credits toward the degree for graduate courses taken at other institutions may be awarded under certain conditions and must be approved by the student's program administrator and the faculty. The number of graduate credits transferred from a non-NYU institution is the number of credits given by that institution for the courses.

Only those courses completed prior to enrollment at Wagner will be considered. The courses must be relevant to the student’s current degree, not be credited toward another degree or certificate, and have been completed with a grade of B or better at an institution of established academic reputation. Coursework must have been taken within the last 5 years (except for doctoral students) in order to be considered for transfer.

A maximum of 12 graduate credits can be transferred toward the MPA and MUP degrees; a maximum of 6 transfer credits toward the EMPA degree; and a maximum of 40 credits toward the doctoral degree. Please note that transferred credits count as electives. However, if a course is equivalent to a Wagner core class, you should also read through the waiver policies, complete a waiver request and indicate this in your transfer credits memo. See here for the waiver policies.

Decisions regarding transfer credits are not made prior to matriculation.  More information regarding the approval process.



Was this article helpful?



Please tell us how we can make this article more useful.

Characters Remaining: 255